New Job Opportunity!
Karst University, in coordination with the City of Aulinta, is pleased to announce a new position.
Apply now to be an avatar of the supernatural folkloric witch Baba Yaga, for a period of one year (with possibility of extensions).
DutiesÂ will include:
- Taking small groups of incoming university students and exchange visitors into the fields and woods and teaching them about flora, fauna, what not to eat, how not to get lost, how to make a debris shelter, and other woodcraft.
- Living in the Baba Yaga hut located in the former Kalkar quarry near the university.
- Once every three weeks, acting as the 24-hour crisis support for university students.
Compensation will include:
- Membership in one of the University Food Co-ops.
- A adequate amount of your preferred medium of exchange (t.b.d.).
- Free housing in the Baba Yaga hut and occupation rights for the Baba Yaga clearing, which includes a spring, nearby herb and vegetable garden with guest cabin, storage shed (on stilts, naturally), and other amenities. The hut is not on the city grid, but does have its own small cleverly-concealed solar collector. However, the Baba Yaga is expected to primarily use candles and candle lanterns, and to cook on a woodstove.
We are employing the Baba Yaga in her aspect as a powerful earth witch (though we do not require that the avatar be a witch themselves). While you can be strange or even somewhat frightening, we ask that the Baba Yaga refrain from:
- Decorating the place with skull lanterns.
- Forcing students to do impossible tasks before dawn.
- Absolute mayhem (minor mayhem ok).
We are asking to receive your applications by June 1st, so we have time to interview and select the right candidate as well as train them before the start of the new school year.
The duties of the avatar of the Baba Yaga may extend to groups of secondary school or even younger students, depending on the chosen candidate’s particular manifestation. Weirder or more terrifying Baba Yagas may be limited to university orientation and to exchange groups from more-Baba-Yaga-savvy Slavic areas.
*Please note that while Baba Yaga is depicted as female, we are not limiting the gender of our candidates. Anyone can be the avatar of the Baba Yaga!
Below are some photos of the house, shed, garden, and guest cabin of the Baba Yaga.
Not interested in being the Baba Yaga? Please watch for our upcoming calls for applications to be the avatars of Great God Pan (nighttime woods safety and Panic control), an as-yet-to-be-decided supernatural river being (river and stream knowledge and safety), and an as-yet-to-be-decided ocean god or other supernatural ocean being (ocean and lagoon knowledge and safety). Please be aware that all avatars will be on the 3-week crisis support rota.